Dr. Simon Marshall and Lesley Paterson are the dynamic duo behind Braveheart Coaching and the new book The Brave Athlete: Calm the F*ck Down and Rise to the Occasion (2017, VeloPress).
Lesley is a three-time off road triathlon champion, Ironman champion, coach, actress and screenwriter. Simon is a PhD. and former professor at University of California at San Diego and San Diego State. He's written extensively and currently provides performance psychology support for the BMC Pro Cycling team.
Increasing mental performance is not just for the elite athlete--age groupers of any level can benefit greatly by harnessing the power of their mind. Conversely, they can suffer ill effects when certain parts of their brain use fear, anxiety, and poor self-image to sabotage their efforts.
Simon and Lesley talk about some of their unique approaches, formed from plenty of formal education and research, and tested by the mentally demanding lifestyle of a professional athlete. Some topics include:
- "Textbook" approaches to mental performance that may not work as advertised
- The importance of developing a mature athletic identity
- The use of an "Alter Ego" to help athletes "fake it 'til they make it"
- Why "Motivation Monday" social media posts are really not that motivational (and sometimes just plain suck)
- How social media and comparing yourself to someone's idealized "presentation" can be very harmful to your self-image
- Using triggers, rituals and rewards to create new positive habits
Buy The Brave Athlete
Follow Simon and Lesley
- Braveheart Coaching
- Lesley Paterson
- Lesley Paterson Facebook
- Lesley Paterson Twitter
- Simon Marshall Twitter