Now that we're seeing 80+ temps in parts of the U.S., we thought it was time to revisit the triathlete's nautical nemesis--open water swimming.
You may have seen Jay Peluso at a Rev3 Triathlon race before (he's usually the one giving the race briefing), but he's also a two-time All-American swimmer, seven time New England Swimming Champion and a member of the the Rhode Island Aquatics Hall of Fame.
We talked about:
- His background in competitive swimming, and how some unique skills from water polo helped his triathlon swim
- How to introduce a new swimmer to open water
- The differences between technique and tactics in pool swimming versus open water (including stroke length and utilization of kick)
- (Almost) Everything you ever wanted to know about wetsuits (no....we didn't ask about peeing in them)
- How often triathletes should swim, and what do those sessions look like?
- Benefits of open water swim races for triathletes